Will,

Are you using DATA A mode? The normal sideband for DATA A is USB which works with most all soundcard data modes. If you are using USB mode instead, I suggest you change. Using Sideband mode for data modes requires you to turn off compression and set the equalizers flat - DATA A mode does that for you automatically, leaving your sideband mode settings intact.

Do you have any of the audio levels set to an extreme setting? They should all be set within mid-range. The application "power" slider, the soundcard levels and the K3S Line level are the ones of concern.

Are you driving the K3S with sufficient audio. You should have 4 bars solid with the 5th bar flashing on the ALC meter. See my article on that subject at my website www.w3fpr.com for a full explanation about setting the audio levels for soundcard Data modes.

73,
Don W3FPR