Mike,

You can use the KPA500 on AM at the full 500 watt rating.
BUT remember that the power is Peak to Peak.
So you will not get 500 watts of carrier and a total of 500 watts of sideband energy. You will get 250 watts of carrier and 125 watts of sideband energy in each sideband - for a total of 500 watts PEP.

If you are long-winded on AM, you should reduce the power - check the temperature.

73,
Don W3FPR