Many years ago, I built a tube amplifier with what I thought was a fairly sophisticated ALC circuit. I could never get the ALC loop to be stable. I know a lot more about control systems now, but I still don't know how to get ALC around an amplifier to work, and apparently neither does anyone else. What I don't understand is why it's so hard with an external amplifier, as every transmitter has ALC for its internal 100 W amplifier, and that works fine. Why the same design doesn't work with an external amplifier is the mystery.

The problem with just limiting the drive power and using the transmitter's ALC is that, especially for solid state amplifiers, the required drive power can vary considerably with SWR and temperature.  That requires either riding the power control continuously or running your amplifier well below rated output most of the time. (Unless, of course, you're running a 2.5 kW amplifier, but that kind of margin is expensive.) So, if anyone could figure out how to get ALC to really work with an amplifier, I think that would be worth paying extra for.

73,
Scott K9MA