From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> on
behalf of Tom Johnson <kq6d...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 8:34:47 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] K1 Power Supply Melt Down

I just completed my K1 RF Board through to the DC Voltage Checks section.  I
plugged into a 12 V Battery Pack and did not get any smoke from the board
when I turned on S1.  But I did not get a voltage reading from pin 15 on P1.
I did get a reading between 3.8 - 4.2 on P1 pin 16.  I went back to trying
to get a reading from P1 pin 15, and then noticed my battery pack (8 1.5 V
AA) was bubbling and melting down - very HOT!

Does anyone have any clues as to what went wrong?  My only guess is if RFC1
(33 uH RF choke) and RFC4 (100 uH RF choke) are directional, I may have them
reversed: I thought like resistors they are not directional.

73

--
Sent from: http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/