It is reported that Glanville Williams, a now SK Professor of Jurisprudence at
University College London, once quipped that, "The difference between a
difference in kind and a difference in degree is almost always a difference in
degree."  I can't verify that, but it's a well-cited legend in my field.

The problems of remoting and moving raised for DXCC, whose rule is all-too
simple, were inevitable in an Internet environment and really ought to be
updated.  But how?

I began again as Jim did when I moved from Connecticut, at ocean's edge, to
Colorado on mountain's peak, although under the DXCC rules my official standing
-- which isn't much anyway -- combines the two.  I didn't move for that
purpose; but that shouldn't matter.

Remoting is more subtle.  My fixed station is at my mountain QTH, 100 miles
from Denver.  My Denver home is HOA-limited and due to foil-backed insulation
in every wall is effectively a Faraday cage.  I am looking into remoting by
Internet over that 100 miles.  If I do that, I personally would be comfortable
adding any new ones to the ones I got while sitting on the mountain.  But there
is no way I would feel right about adding an ATNO I snagged if I rented a
station on the Atlantic or Pacific coast for the occasion and remoted from
Denver to there.  Is that a difference in kind, because I own one and don't own
the other?  A difference in degree because one's 100 miles and the other is
over 1,000?  How about if I had a summer place on Nantucket and I personally
owned the equipment there, operating it remotely from Colorado?  A difference
in kind, or a difference in degree?

Again, and as others have said, I compete for me and against me, and I know
from where I snagged what.  But some hams compete against other hams and that
is, generally speaking, to the good as well.  So what should the rules be?  The
WAS rule, I believe, says within a 50 mile radius.  I am one QSL short of 5BWAS
because NE on 10 from my side of the Continental Divide in CO has eluded me for
more than a decade.  I could drive to the CO/NE state line with a KX3 in the
car but that would be a rule violation, so I haven't.   Should there be a
radius limit for DXCC as well?  Should remoting be a separate rule of some sort?

I think Professor Williams, who so far as I know was not a ham,  would have
enjoyed this imbroglio.

Ted, KN1CBR

    Message: 22