As NW8L pointed out, there are simple updates to restore proper date displays
in GPS receivers.

An update should have a release date inside the build with the associated GPS
week number when it was released.  With a little coding, this will allow the
receiver to display date properly for 1024 weeks following the release date.

Another design peril is the Age of Data counters for almanac and ephemeris data
which are 9 bits.  A company from Illinois thought they could get by with an
8-bit byte, but in July 2004, a whole bunch of their mobile phones went screen
of death at the transition from week 255 to week 256.

Somebody commented that WAAS in HI was not as good in the ConUS.  I wonder
where this came from.  I cannot imagine the FAA would put up with this unless
it is just too easy to land a plane in HI.  In 2017 the GPS guys at Los Angeles
AFB were indicating 40 cm repeatability, around 1.3 nanoseconds without WAAS.

Bob R – N7WY