Hank,I had a similar problem earlier this week following a Windows update.
The COM port showed up in Device Manager, but the software  package I was using
(not the KX3 Utility) couldn't talk to it.  Within a day or so, there was
another Windows  update,  and then everything worked fine.Sometimes it seems
like an update breaks something, and a follow on update fixes it.  Not the
first time I've seen that happen.Mark,KE6BB
-------- Original message --------From: HB <h...@optilink.us> Date: 4/12/19
6:34 PM  (GMT-08:00) To: donw...@embarqmail.com, Elecraft list
<Elecraft@mailman.qth.net> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KX3 Utility problem: serial
port is closed Don….I have verified the COM port in the Device Manager but the
KX3 Utility does not show any COM ports in the port window.HankK4HYJ