It has often been stated, by both Elecraft and our customers, that we leverage
user input as we flesh out new products. In this article I'll clarify our
development model, hopefully elevating it above hearsay. It's intentional and
methodical. We like to think it's one of the things that makes Elecraft unique
among well-known amateur radio brands.

* * *

The design of commercial gear is subject to many constraints. It has to meet
user expectations, earn type acceptance, do well in performance benchmarks, and
yet be fairly priced. To varying degrees it must also satisfy a universal
requirement for communications gear: it should be usable during emergencies to
support local or regional traffic. (For some of us, knowing we might be called
upon as the last resort in difficult times motivates us to keep our equipment
and skills fresh.)

Most use of our gear is by hobbyists, so an additional set of requirements
comes into play. For example, a radio has to be enjoyable to operate. If it's a
kit, it must be rewarding and educational to build.

We take this two steps further.

First, we believe that our customers -- the real experts when it comes to using
ham gear -- are a rich source of creative and technical input. Second, we
recognize that since this is a hobby, the road is just as important as the
destination. In other words, we want to share the *process* of product design
with our customers, not just plant a stake in the ground and say "this is what
we've done; take it or leave it."

To this end, at the onset of a new product cycle we imagine the hardware and
firmware as an elastic canvas upon which we and our customers can sketch and
refine ideas. This means products must be endowed with a great degree of
modularity; we have to leave spaces that can be filled in the future, firing
the imagination of users. Here's a musical analogy: If you've ever listened to
jazz trumpeter Miles Davis play, you'll notice some gaps between his phrases.
These allow listeners to engage with his music, completing their part of the
conversation. The result? You work a bit harder at it, but come away more
satisfied. (Don't get me started on the Key of Morse.)

What this means in practice is that we take continuous customer input, weight
it, adjust firmware implementation priority, and revise or extend hardware over
time. Let me give you two examples of how this has played out.

K2

The K2 was the test case for our "canvas" development model. To ensure
flexibility, we designed intermodule communications around a 1-wire bus -- the
auxBus -- which we routed to every option connector in the radio. These
connectors were strategically distributed to nodes where they could pick up
supply voltages, control, and RF or audio paths. The idea was that each module
would have its own small MCU, hanging on the auxBus, where it could exchange
information with the main MCU.

We then started shipping the K2 to early adopters, soliciting their input on
what they'd like to see next. I can't claim that this process was entirely
democratic, and in truth it was messy at times. But the upshot was that we
quickly followed with new K2 options and firmware features in an order that
gave users a vote. When 60 meters came on the scene, we added a module for that
as well.

Here's where the auxBus comes in: On power-up, each option module checks in
with the main MCU, reporting its status. But the MCU needn't know every detail
of how modules function. For example, when you go into the menu entry for the
K2's ATU (KAT2), the text for the various settings is supplied by the KAT2's
own MCU, over the auxBus. If you update the ATU module to one that has
different settings, the main MCU doesn't have to be updated -- just the KAT2
itself. The main MCU thus functions as a "server" for semantic information
supplied by each of the option modules.

The K2 is also an exemplar of hardware flexibility, embodied in something we
called the 2D fastener. This is a short length of 1/4" aluminum bar with three
tapped 4-40 holes that permits attachment of PC boards, sheet metal, and
hardware. Over the years we and our customers have taken advantage of 2D
fasteners to upgrade or enhance products. Our seafaring customers helped us
migrate to all stainless-steel hardware at some point, facilitated by 2D
fasteners as generic attachment points.

Shortly after we thought we'd fully populated the K2 with options, we were
contacted by Lyle Johnson, KK7P. Lyle had reverse-engineered the auxBus node
associated with our KAF2 analog audio filter module, where he inserted his own:
the KDSP2, a DSP-based audio filter complete with noise reduction. This is an
extreme case of tapping community creativity. In addition to adding the KDSP2
to our product line, we added Lyle to our engineering staff.

One final note about the K2 and extensibility. Once we had accumulated a number
of useful upgrades, we created an "A" to "B" conversion kit. This was the
genesis of our promise to provide an upgrade path for every owner of our
transceivers so they can remain current.

K3

The K3, with its larger MCU and plenty of interior space, has benefitted from
many suggestions by its user base over the 10 years since initial release. We
phased in a high-performance sub receiver, 2 meter transverter, enhanced ATU,
DVR, SWL band-pass filter array, reference lock module, USB port for
control/audio, and most significantly, an entirely new synthesizer design. As
the phrase "competition-grade" evolved, the K3 continued to set the standard.

Accessories have been added to the K-Line based on customer needs as well --
the P3 panadapter, KPA500 amp, KAT500 ATU, SP4 speaker, and K-Pod remote
controller. All of these new modules and accessories were accompanied by
hundreds of free firmware upgrades.

Like the K2, the K3 underwent one major face-lift, in the form of the K3S. In
keeping with our model, we offered just about everything but the "K3S" front
panel bezel to those who wanted the latest in Elecraft tech.

* * *

Our first two decades have been a time of challenge, opportunity, and
satisfaction for our team. Reflecting on this time, we need to thank our
customers not just for their creativity and enthusiasm, but also for their
patience. We've traveled the road together, bumps, potholes and all, and I hope
you've all enjoyed the ride as much as we have.

It goes without saying that our future products will continue to reflect our
philosophy of community involvement and "hands-on" design.

Here at Elecraft headquarters, we're already raising a toast to the next decade.

Wayne, N6KR