On May 6, 2019, at 00:11, John Marvin <jm...@themarvins.org> wrote:

> Just a quick note, WWV is celebrating 100 years on the air this
> October, and NCARC (I'm a member) is sponsoring an event with NIST on
> the WWV property from 9/28 - 10/2. More information can be found at
> http://wwv100.com.
This sounds yummy.  When I was an intern (student trainee during college
vacations) at the Naval Research Laboratory in 1955 I was treated to a
tour of the *old* WWV installation in Beltsville, MD before it moved to
Fort Collins.  A fascinating place.  Open-wire feed lines, RF all over
the place!

As an OT aside - I just noticed today that the time on my Verizon
cell-phone (supposedly slaved to GPS time) is two whole minutes ahead of
WWV and Naval Observatory time services checked both by internet
connection and OTA.  Accurate time is needed for the RTC In my K2 and
for certain digital modes.

Anyone know why?  "Customer Service" at Verizon doesn't have a clue.

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402

>From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon