Ken:

> On May 13, 2019, at 10:48 PM, Kenneth P Alexander <ve3...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm considering buying a KX2 for remote operation; CW and digital.  The
> radio will be set up in VE3.  I am retired and living in Thailand.  I can't
> get a Thai license because Canada and Thailand do not have a reciprocal
> licensing agreement.
>
> I'm planning on using Win4K3Suite to control the rig and will have the
> power supply and remote computer on a UPS.  That said, I'm sure there will
> be occasions when I will have to shut down and re-start the KX2, but this
> seems to be impossible because the 2-button on/off switching can't be done
> remotely.

Something to seriously consider is the robustness of the remote connection,
Given that you’ll be depending upon internet that spans the globe, the ham site
will be remote and presumably not occupied for the majority of the year, and
where a software failure or PC hiccup can destroy your ability to operate,
please think about establishing a system that can be managed.  I’m also struck
that given all of the effort to put a remote ham site in service, you’re
thinking of a (very good) QRP transceiver where QRP adds to the complexity of
making actual contacts.

I operate remotely 85% of the time where my station is in SE Georgia and I’m in
Texas or New England.  When something goes wrong at the ham site,  it will be
typically be 5-6 weeks before I’ll be back at the site.  In your case, I
suspect that you will not be able to visit your ham site as frequently.  If
your ‘host’ is not a ham, it may be difficult for that individual to help
resolve any problems if he/she is not familiar with your equipment.

So here are some suggestions/comments for your consideration:

1.  Use a transceiver that allows for remote power on/off as a feature.

2.  Avoid having to depend upon a PC at the remote site.  PCs can have hardware
failures.  PCs can fail to reboot.  A UPS may help mitigate power surges and
short time power loss, but if the site is remote what are the chances of
extended power outage?  True, PCs can be configured for ‘boot on power-up’ but
what if the PC fails to reboot due to loss of power or while doing a Windows
update (which Microsoft continues to make it more difficult to prevent from
happening)?  If you’re depending upon a PC at the remote site to make things
work, you’re also creating a single point failure.

Do I use a PC in the shack? Yes, but it is not controlling critical systems so
that if the PC is offline I can still operate.  I can control it remotely with
VNC Viewer.

3. What level of internet is available at the remote site?  If it is relatively
slow DSL (in Georgia I had to initially contend with 6 Mbps downlink/768 Kbps
uplink until two years ago), you’ll need to use something that takes relatively
little bandwidth to control the radio and feed audio both directions.  Given
the distances between Thailand and Canada, you may also have to contend with
internet latency.

4. Will you need to control other devices such as an amplifier or rotor?  If
so, look for devices that provide a web-based interface so that you can avoid a
PC in the shack and simply use a browser on the PC,  tablet or smartphone in
Thailand.

5. Think about remote access.  Will you need to be able to remotely configure
and/or activate/deactivate your equipment from Thailand?

6. Presumably you will be traveling to Canada to install your remote site. Be
prepared to spend a considerable amount of time necessary to not only do the
install but to extensively test your system through a remote connection
including ‘disaster recovery.’  You don’t want to end up back in Thailand and
then realize that a connection was missed, something did not reboot/come back
online, something was wired backwards, etc.

So with these considerations in mind, here is what I use for my remote station
that meets the above criteria.  I am not suggesting that my ’solution’ is
necessarily applicable to your situation or budget. Rather, I’m suggesting that
taking the time to think through what it will take to establish a reliable
remote system that meets your needs is critical to your enjoyment and that
selecting the transceiver is but the first step in designing your system.

A.  The transceiver at the ham shack is a K3.  This transceiver is designed for
remote operation.  I use the K3/IO-mini which mimics the front panel of the K3.
 I use the Remote Rig RRC-1258MKII "pair” for interfacing the two devices with
one unit at the ham shack connected to the K3 and the other unit connected to
the K3/IO-mini where I am.  The beauty of this approach is that 1) I have
complete control of the K3 operating it as a K3, 2) I can turn on/off the K3
with no problems, and 3) There are a variety of built-in audio Codecs within
the remote rig available that allow you to select one based upon the quality of
the internet connection.  With only 768Kbps upload at the shack, I had no
problems with audio quality while controlling the K3 as the remote site was
uploading to the internet from other devices for other purposes simultaneously.

B. The Remote Rig RC-1216H provides a web interface capable of controlling a
variety of amplifiers and rotor controllers. I have one to control my KPA500
and one to control a Green Heron rotor.

C. I use a Digital Loggers Web Power Switch Pro to remotely turn on/off AC
devices.  The system can be configured for each AC port (there are 8) to power
off, a timer can be configured for a desired interval, and then automatically
turn power back on. This allows me to reset my DSL modem, my router, the
radio’s power supply, and other devices as needed.  Again, equipment can
‘hiccup’ so being able to restart something as needed is very handy.  The Web
Pro Power Switch can also be configured to determine if an internet connection
is lost and if so, power cycle the modem and router.

D. For devices that use 12 VDC, I use a West Mountain Radio R4005i that allows
web access to control five ports.  This allows me to remotely turn on/off
preamps, other radios, etc.

E. I setup DDNS and port forwarding within the router at the remote site to be
able to access the Remote Rig setup,  Digital Logger and other devices.  This
allows easy connection to access everything in the shack from anywhere.  Each
device has its own UDP/TCP port identifier so that using a browser makes it
possible to access individual devices.

F. I will also note that I have a KAT500 tuner which does require a PC
connection to be able to control remotely. However, I installed a Lantronics
Serial-to-Ethernet converter that allows a PC where I am to access the KAT500
directly without having to use the PC in the shack.  Hopefully, Remote Rig will
someday modify the RC-1216H to be able to control the KAT500 through a web
interface.

My system has also evolved considerably since 2014 when I purchased my
K3/KPA500/KAT500   I’ve added web-based devices to control my system.  I added
the Digital Loggers device and the Lantronics serial interface.  I added an
Antenna Genius that can be remotely accessed as well as configured for
automatic band changes.  I also use a Flex given that SmartLink 2.x was
introduced in 2017 that made it possible to remotely connect to my Flex-6700
through SmartSDR, SmartSDR for iOS, DogParkSDR, and Maestro without a PC in the
shack and my DSL in Georgia now has 2 Mpbs upload speed that can support the
wider bandwidth requirements of Flex products.

Bottom line is that it takes a considerable amount of time and effort (and
money) to install a robust and reliable remote site.  Reliability and ability
to manage your equipment remotely are critical for sustained performance.  If
the system is offline and can’t be put back into service within a ‘reasonable
period’ (whatever that means to you), then you’ve gained nothing.  Remote
operation allows me to operate HF anytime as there are restrictions to
installing such a system where I am in Texas and New England.  Given the
benefits that it has provided me, I believe it has been worth the investment in
dollars and sweat equity.

FWIW,

Barry Baines, WD4ASW
Keller, TX