Chris,

The hole in the K2 front panel should be enlarged ONLY enough to pass the threaded section of the encoder - NO LARGER. With that done, the first shoulder of the encoder at the base of the threaded section will fit flat against the metalwork.
No need for any additional hardware or washer.

Of course, if you ream out the front panel hold enough so the shoulder beneath the threads can pass through, you will have to add a washer of the type you are describing.

In any case, you must flush trim the leads on the encoder board and the back of the Control Board which might contact the encoder board. If that is not done "strange happenings" can occur.

I have done this many times for my customers, and have corrected many where the customer did not understand and did it incorrectly.

73,
Don W3FPR