So, if you turn the KPA100 off via the menu, the KPA100 SWR bridge is still
used in any case?

I’ll plan to add 50-100 kOhm resistors across the output, as you suggested. I’m
also going to re-do the calibration of both SWR meters, just make sure no
damage was done to the KAT100.

> On May 25, 2019, at 1:52 PM, Don Wilhelm <donw...@embarqmail.com> wrote:
>
> I only partially answered the question about when each wattmeter is used.
> If the KAT100 is connected to a QRP K2 (KPA100 physically removed) through a
> KIO2, then the KAT100 wattmeter will be used for power control and SWR
> display in the K2 display.
>
> As long as the KPA100 is physically connected, its wattmeter is used for
> power control and also display of SWR on the K2.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Bill,
>
> Both wattmeters (KPA100 and KAT100) are in-line at the same time. With the
> KPA100 installed the KAT100 wattmeter is only used to calculate the SWR and
> use that value to light the SWR bargraph. But otherwise they are electrically
> equal.
>
> Why the KPA100 diodes get zapped while the KAT100 ones are often unscathed is
> a question I do not have an answer for - it may have something to do with the
> physical placement of the toroid and the diodes.  The KAT100 has a greater
> groundplane area around the toroid and diodes, and I believe that has
> something to do with it.
>
> I would suggest that you do something like putting a non-inductive resistor
> from the KPA100 SO-239 jack to ground to bleed off residual static.  I have
> used 3 watt 47k resistors successfully for that purpose.
> While you are at it, put one across each ANT jack in the KAT100 as well - if
> you have the KAT100-1, you can easily solder them on the bottom of the board
> - with the KAT100-2, it is not difficult to solder the resistors directly
> across the SO-239 jacks.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 5/25/2019 1:24 PM, Bill Coleman wrote:
>> Don, I have one question.
>>
>> This is the second time my K2/100 has completely toasted D16 and D17. I also
>> have a KAT100 connected at the same time, which has virtually identical SWR
>> bridge.
>>
>> How is it that a static discharge can destroy D16 and D17, but the diodes D1
>> and D2 in the KAT100 are unaffected?
>>
>> With the K2/100 / KAT100 combo, at which time are each of the SWR bridges
>> used?

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa...@arrl.net
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901