Al, the ethernet port is, as you say, bi-directional. The K4 can
communicate with other K4's to control them, or it can be the radio under
external control by either another K4 or an app on an iPad or a PC.

As far as boot time duration I don't have a real answer for that yet.
Quicker than a tube rig is a pretty safe bet. ;).

Brian.