Jack & all others that have helped on this question, I posted. Problem
solved. Turns out the issue was a bad connector on a coax jumper running
from my 160M antenna  disconnect switch  to the KAT 500 and  having wrong
antenna selected in radio. Bottom line: KAT500 and KPA500 both working
great now. So thanks again to all for helping. Lessons learned have been
entered in station log.
73 Paul w2eck