Well, all good discussion, but I advise that you do not hold your breath for "open firm/software in the K4," or basically any access at all.  It's just beyond what any manufacturer can do.  I suppose Eric, who is noted for his business skills, could start up an "E-tunes" app store for the K4, with developer standards, testing, and the like.  I doubt that's remotely close to the top of his To-Do list however.

Having just had my 79th birthday yesterday [thanks for all the HB's!], I remember when Heath came out with an analog computer at what would have been the beginning of the "Science Hobbyist" revolution.  Without the Internet, there were no Email lists of course, but the number of "I did this and it didn't do what I expected" inquiries was way more than they expected.  Fortunately [for Heath] the customer base was very rapidly exhausted and the Heathkit Analog Computer silently sailed into the sunset.

73,
Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County

PS:  Anyone who tells you "79 feels just like 78" is smoking their socks.