Mike,

Yes, the first step is to download and install new drivers for your USB to serial adapter. The FTDI adapters work best, if you are using a Prolific adapter, I recommend replacing it.

Set the K3 baud rate to 38400 in the RS232 menu.

Do you also have a P3?  If so, set its baud rate to 38400 as well.

Be certain you are using the correct COM port in K3 Utility. The COM port is assigned to the USB to serial adapter, and NOT to the K3. Use Device Manager in your computer to determine the assigned COM port. Open PORTS and unplug the adapter from the computer. One of the COM ports should go away - then plug it back in and see which COM port is assigned. Put that COM port into K3 Utility and TEST COMMUNICATIONS.

Windows sometimes changes the COM port assigned to USB to serial adapters - thanks Microsoft!

73,
Don W3FPR