Yes, pretty easy, but not true that it takes any special or expensive soldering station to do quality SMD work.

In the winter months I do a lot of SMD work. I don't have a quality soldering station at all. I use solder paste from a small syringe, cheap tweezers, a $2 coffee cup warmer (WalMart), a small $25 heat gun used by scrapbook crafters (Michael's), and a regular desk magnifier lamp. For a few parts, I use tweezers and my regular Hakko soldering iron with a pencil point. Here's a video of the technique I've been using for nearly 10 years of the 62 years I've been a ham.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0OKuxPiGKs

If the link doesn't appear, google SMT Soldering Movie on youtube.

A K1-level SMD kit would be no problem for anyone capable of attacking a thru-hole K1 or K2, but Wayne clearly addressed that possibility, and rightly so. The K1 may be dead, but not soon forgotten.

Eric KE6US

K1 s/n 1976

K2 s/n 567