I have known about this for a long time but, once I decided to design and build
my own KAT500/KPA500 controller, I lost interest in the issue.   Here is the
situation:

A KPA500 can be connected to a TS-590 COM port.  If configured correctly the
KPA500 will "poll" the TS-590 once per second with IF;FA;FB;.   TS-590 responds
with the values of IF, FA, and FB and KPA500 firmware is smart enough to derive
the TX band regardless of which VFO is being used as the TX VFO.

The KAT500 with firmware 1.34 or later will receive a Kenwood format FA word
and will use it to select, not only the tuning solution, but also the
appropriate antenna.  KAT500 only follows VFO A.  It cannot track VFO B and
does not know which VFO is being used for TX.

I was asked to help another op who, like me, uses TS-590, KAT500, and KPA500.
He actually wanted details of my controller but I'm not ready to release
anything yet.   He had his KPA500 following TS-590 band but the KAT500 only had
RF frequency detection.   He was sometimes faulting the KPA500 after a band
change because the KAT500 had not switched to the required antenna.  I told him
that it should be possible to make a "Y" cable that kept the TS-590<>KPA500
connection unchanged but which also fed the TS-590 responses to the KAT500.  I
sent him a draft cable drawing.

He reported he had built the cable but the KAT500 did not do any antenna
selection when KPA500 and TS-590 changed bands.   After a few emails exchanged
I decided I had to build and test the configuration myself.  It worked as I had
expected with KPA500 and KAT500 both following TS-590 band selection when VFO A
was the TX VFO.   He eventually worked out what he had mis-configured and now
has the interface working.

Now for the point of this post -

Why does Elecraft provide KPA500 firmware that is smart enough to derive TX
frequency regardless of VFO selection but KAT500 will only respond to VFO A
frequency?   Would it not be reasonable to update KAT500 firmware, copying
KPA500 code if necessary, so it too will derive TX frequency regardless of VFO
usage?

I hope Elecraft will consider this to be a useful enhancement that will make it
easier to integrate KPA500 and KAT500 with Kenwood rigs.

73,
Andy, k3wyc