Thanks for the several on and off list replies to the dilemma I was seeing.
The problem turned out to be an edge case failure of the USB serial
converter.

It works fine when DE9 pins 2&3 are strapped (hard loopback) but it doesn't
work with the radio.

Changing to a real UART port solved this issue immediately.

NOW ... the original issue can be addressed!

->  The K2 <AI2;> auto-info meta command is *not* sticky.

It does not 'stay' across radio power cycles.
I had hoped this command would be written into the NV memory chip.

Not likely at this stage that Elecraft would issue an updated MCU that did
this.
I guess I could ask!   ;-)

Steve KZ1X