Hank

I am only fabricating new top covers for the 35A size Astron units.

For the majority of acoustic noise situations in the 35 amp size units (the
variable and the fixed voltage models) the height of the steel cabinet is
insufficient to keep the sheet metal of the lid away from the flux lines of
the transformer.

The resulting eddy currents decay and 'fight' against the transformer field
itself.
This results in the buzzing type hum people experience.

Over time this vibration can loosen the transformer windings so it can buzz
by itself.
But generally, the bulk of the objectionable acoustic noise is from the top
cover..

You can confirm the cause by simply removing the cover and operating the
supply.
There are only seven screws, as you probably already know.

Suitable electrical safety precautions are to be taken, of course.

If you have a 35A Astron unit and by the above method you can show yourself
that the buzzing/hum noise is a result of the magnetic coupling /
circulating current scenario I have described, this new composite cover
will solve the problem - as well as reducing the obvious waste heat from
the supply.

Steve KZ1X