From: Charlie T
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2019 7:57 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Silent power supply for a K3s

Any supply that is regulated, whether a switching or linear regulator
circuit is used, has the potential to "take-out" the radio because if the
regulating circuit fails, the un-regulated voltage which is normally
significantly higher than the regulated voltage will be applied to the
radio. In a 12 - 14 V supply, this could very well damage anything it is
connected to, from a simple 12V light bulb to your fancy new SS radio.

That said, many good quality commercial power supplies have what is called a
"crow-bar" circuit which is essentially a big SCR across the supply's
output, with its gate driven by a voltage sensing circuit set a level
slightly higher than the supply's normal output, say 16V. The action is if
the regulator fails, the sensing circuit fires the SCR, which is hopefully
big enough to effectively short the power supply's output and ether trigger
a fold-back current limiting * circuit, or blow a fuse.

73, Charlie k3ICH

*Unfortunately, in many supplies, the current limiter AND voltage regulator
use the same active device, so in a fault situation, blowing the fuse is the
last resort to a safe shut down.