Jesse & Nicky wrote:
I am new to ham radio-jusr passed tech + morse in mar and will take general in jul.
 I am bldg a k2/100 s/n 5437 a little slowly cause I am handicapped.  I am just
getting ready for test & align pt 2.  Anyway, my ques is I just bought a
bencher single lever paddle and instructions say follow directions on your
electronic keyer for connection!!!
I don't have an electronic keyer.  I want to practice sending on a pc.  What else
do I need to buy ???  an electronic keyer and serial cable ???Jesse & Nicky
wrote:
Jesse,

To use a PC for "sending" code practice you will need an electronic keying circuit to convert the dot and dash closures of the paddle into an on/off signal that drives an oscillator at a pitch and volume that is pleasing to your ear. When I was writing "Learn C Now" for Microsoft, I wrote a C program that used two pins on a parallel port for the keying input and some sound routines to generate the tone. It worked, but didn't make the cut due to space limitations and concerns that it was too geeky for the intended audience. I can't lay hands on it now -- lost to the dust-bin of history.

However, you are very close to having what you need with the K2. Forge ahead with Part 3 and you will be able to use the K2's built-in electronic keyer for practice.

   1) Set up the keying input for paddles:
       Tap MENU and select INP by rotating the tuning knob.
Press and hold MENU to get into EDIT mode and select PDLN (normal) or PDLR (reverse).
      Tap MENU twice to get back to normal operation.

2) Then with the rig in CW mode, activate the TEST mode by pressing and holding the MODE button.

When you want to get on the air for real, press and hold MODE again to return to OPERate mode.

If the default sidetone pitch and volume aren't right for you adjust those parameters using MENU/EDIT actions for ST L and ST P settings.

Have fun,
Gus Hansen / KB0YH