When it comes to eliminating extraneous noise, I have always found the K3 to be very lacking of any super powers.

Mostly, the results were about the same as any other rig out there. Kind of OK for ignition noise - using the NB. Of course the NB can screw with the bandwidth of the receiver and allow nearby signals to interfere when they would normally not. Nothing new about this - just like all the others. So far as the NR - all the various (and there are many) settings result in lowered audio output and various levels of "under water" effects. Effectiveness against lightning static is nonexistent.

I would be remiss if I did not mention that my IC-7300's NR is very effective against junk when needed and does not introduce "under water" effects. It is also quite effective against lightning static - not 100%, however, I would estimate 80 to 90%. As a result, the 7300 is the go-to rig for noisy weather conditions. I have had no occasion to try the NB, so cannot report on same.

As always, the ATT and/or RF GAIN are your friends.