Daniel,

All upgrades are included in all K2s after serial number 4300. The firmware should work fine. If you want to check the firmware level, hold any button while powering on and the MCU and KIOC levels will be briefly displayed - the latest is 2.04r/1.09.

Since the KSB2 is installed, you need to know how the microphone configuration header is wired. If the prior owner sent a microphone with the K2, then just use that one - or if he told you which microphone was used with it, get a similar microphone and use it.

If you have no microphone information, you will have to disassemble the K2 to get to the back of the Front Panel to see how it is wired. Guidance for how to disassemble the K2 is given at https://www.qsl.net/wy3a/Replace_K2_Headphone_Jack.htm. You do not need to replace the headphone jack, but the disassembly of the K2 is the same as in that article. The microphone configuration header wiring for various microphones is shown in the KSB2 manual - download it from Elecraft if you do not have a paper copy.

As for other things, you may want to touch up the IF filter alignment, but if it works, I would leave that for later after you become familiar with the K2. You will need to use the internal counter probe to do the IF filter alignment. Elecraft does have a kit of parts for the probe if you did not receive one with the K2 (it may be inside the K2).

Yes, the KDSP2 has been discontinued.

You will need to construct the special cable shown in the KIO2 manual to have PC to K2 communications. Do NOT plug a standard serial port into the K2 AUX IO connector - it contains internal K2 signal lines as well as 3 RS-232 signals. Using a standard serial cable can cause damage to the K2 and possibly the serial port.

73,
Don W3FPR