There's a way to get around that in a Win 10 machine; tell it you're on a
metered Internet connection.   It won't update until you tell it to.   It's
in a setting somewhere.

That said, I have a Dell Inspiron Mini that won't run much beyond Win XP
without severely bogging down.  It is a small form factor and perfect for
the field and for logging.   I carry it with me when I go afield and have
pretty much everything I need, absent the internet, which I'm actually
going afield to get away from.     If you have a little machine that you
can send to Coventry, you run no risk of compromise of the operating
system; as long as the software runs on it.  I have quick boots and get my
work done.

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 3:16 PM Jim Brown <j...@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

> On 6/20/2019 11:17 AM, EricJ wrote:
> > Computers with serial ports running Windows XP/7 are approaching boat
> > anchor status
>
> Not quite -- I paid extra for a couple of off-lease Win 7 machines so
> that I wouldn't be subject to Win 10's forced automatic updates. I like
> updates, but on MY schedule. The last thing I want is a forced update in
> the middle of a contest.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

> Message delivered to r...@wc3t.us

Rich Hurd / WC3T / DMR: 3142737
Northampton County RACES, EPA-ARRL Public Information Officer for Scouting
Latitude: 40.761621 Longitude: -75.288988  (40°45.68' N 75°17.33' W) Grid:
*FN20is*