Brown noise is supposed to be sleep inducing. The security folks used pink noise in the plenum above the SCIF's to mask conversations.  I can't remember exactly what the spectrum of A-weighting was, I think it had a dip in the mid-range.

The TV station I was employed by in college would "rent" us out to smaller AM and FM stations who didn't have a resident engineer. The standard AM configuration was an aggressive peak limiter followed by a "Sta-Level" with a very long time constant.  Result was the modulation was pegged at 99.5% all the time, and it sounded that way too ...  zero dynamic range.  Years ago, I looked at KFBK's waveform when the then new Rush Limbaugh was beginning his bloviation career.  It too was nearly constant since Rush could inhale very very quickly and talked very fast. [:-))

Non-classical FM stations [we serviced 4] used peak limiters only since 100% FM modulation is an arbitrary number [75 KHz deviation then].  The one classical music FM station we had used no limiting/compression.  Our TV station used no limiter, NTSC aural deviation then was 25 KHz, however our two network feeds sounded fairly well compressed.

I seem to get best audio reports, and recordings a couple of folks have sent me sound best to me when my K3 compression reliably goes to 10 dB with occasional peaks to 15 dB on the bar graph.  Much more than that and there's clearly room noise in pauses and the audio begins to distort.

73,
Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County