Bill,

That is quite generous of you, and all those who provide public domain code.

Each of those software packages you mention run on a computer, and are a complete package within itself. That is different than a situation where firmware and software are tightly integrated.

This being the Elecraft reflector, (and I being a former of the Elecraft support team) can say that support of the Elecraft gear would be a real mess if the firmware were made either public domain or open source where customers could alter the code. Because the hardware function and firmware function are tightly integrated, it is difficult to determine whether there is a hardware or firmware failure. If the code were to be open source or public domain, the first response of the support team would have to be "download and install the official firmware and try again. Support for non-Elecraft written code would be a very costly venture for Elecraft.

73,
Don W3FPR