I've found that all USB cables are not created equal.  Some are apparently better shielded than others.   I tried and replaced 3 or 4 different ones / brands / lengths, in the same location and configuration {between my K3S and my laptop} before I found one that did not cause the WSJT-X software to lock up or default on the computer.    Some bands were OK while some were always problematic.   I also found that adding a snap-on ferrite at the computer was a big aid in resolving the issue.   As of now, I can work 160M - 6M at 500 watts {where permitted} all modes with the KPA500 with zero issues.

As to "grounding", or bonding,  I do have and strongly suggest that each piece of equipment is bonded or connected by an individual dedicated conductor to a common point.  I use the station power supply as the common point.   Some say that daisy chain method is preferred, although I prefer the star method.   As to a "station ground" to the outside world, in some cases the length of the conductor used between the station and external ground point becomes an antenna in the presence of the transmitted signal, thus forcing the station above RF ground.   In my case I only use the AC 3rd pin ground for safety and for all equipment. Lightning protection is done outside of the house, hence no dedicated "station ground" is employed.    Antennas here use both coax fed types and balanced line types.

Good luck with your endeavors.

73

Bob, K4TAX

P.S. - based on your comment........I suggest you not keep or use your laptop in the water.   HI  HI