Actually, I suspect that they're designed for 50 ohms at least in part, because that's how they will be measured!  We try hard to present a matched load in the passband, but, as others observed, output stages are usually lower than 50 ohms and few antennas, even when matched by a tuner, look anything like 50 ohms away from resonance. So all we can really hope to gain by matching is to minimize loss in the passband.  AND -- any performance specs and/or measurements at 50 ohms in and out are a fiction away from resonance, and with other than a 50 ohm source.

73, Jim K9YC