Before a backlight kit was ever available for the K1 from Elecraft, I built my own and was able to position it at the side of the LCD without tearing everything apart.  I used a single white LED, and if I remember correctly I filed the face of the LED plastic body to make the light scatter better.  I used a FET connected as a series current limiter to give a few milliamps of current, and picked up a switched 12 volt from somewhere on the circuit board.  It works fine.

Dave   AB7E