Hi.

You can "fix" regular USB<>Serial devices, to always show up at the same
COM port, when the system (re)starts, or you (re)plug something.
Plenty of instructions on the interweb, including this which I had a
part in, that seems to work with Windows 10 & earlier.

http://www.w1hkj.com/doku/doku.php?id=howto:taming_the_wild_comport_in_windows

For Linux users, you can use "udev rules" to do the same (and more.)

I have no idea re MAC's, but you could ask about the issue on any of the
*BSD mailing lists.

73.

Dave G0WBX.