Don,

I checked T4 and discovered that it is a FT50-10 core instead of FT50-43. I wound the proper core and all the adjustments worked out fine. K2 S/N 5404 is running fine with over 100 watts out on all bands. I do have one more question. While working on the amp I noticed that the black coatings on the thermal pads seem to scratch easily. Mine have a couple of minor scratches that go thru the black. Does this reduce their ability to conduct heat away? Should I replace them? Thanks.

Harvey KN6VP
----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Wilhelm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Harvey Howell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2006 8:50 PM
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] KPA100 Problem

Harvey,

At first glance it would seem like there is something awry with your
wattmeter section of the KPA100.  Check the T4 windings again and check
carefully to be certain everything is well soldered with no solder bridges.
Check the diodes for proper orientation, then try again to balance the
wattmeter bridge.  If you do not get the trimmer capacitor correct, the
power and SWR indications will be 'funny', so be certain that you have a
good null (use the DVM on the test point).  The capacitor setting is quite
'touchy' so adjust it very slowly waiting for your DVM to settle down with
each small change.

The increased voltages at D13 and U4 pin 8 are to be expected since the
change of R4 to 39k - the voltages in the KPA100 unfortunately have not been
updated to reflect this change.  They are NOT related to your wattmeter
problem.

73,
Don W3FPR