Skip,

They can create a bend in the shaft if the K3 is dropped to the desktop, such as when the bail is retracted.
I would advise anyone NOT to ship the K3 with those knobs mounted.

My experience is with the K2. There were several that were shipped to me for repair with the knob installed - many of those had bent encoder shafts. I was usually able to straighten the shaft, but that is a chore in trial and error.

73,
Don W3FPR