Joe,  you're right of course - and thank you. I have no clue why I typed
DTR!  Google sources did indeed say RXD (received data, pin 2) and that is
in fact how I wired the cable.  I guess I was looking at my hand drawn
schematic notes and my eyes got a little dyslexic.

Also, thanks to you and others for mentioning that pins 7 and 9 need to be
shorted (as shown in the schematic you sent).  I did that, and - voila!

Everything's working now - SteppIR, MixW, N1MM+.  (the latter programs one
at a time, or course).

Thanks, everyone.

73
Ray K2HYD