I just tried an experiment with a K3S and KPA1500, which uses the same
AUXBUS frequency mechanism as the KAT500. The KPA1500 has an LCD display of
the XCVR frequency, as sent by the K3S/K3 over AUXBUS. It comes in multiples
of 8 kHz.

I set VFOA to 14015 and VFO B to 14074.

When I turn on the transceiver (not in split), the KPA1500 reports the XCVR
frequency as 14008.

I then pressed (a "hold") the K3S SPLIT button, and the rig's LCD shows an
arrow to the VFO B frequency as the transmit VFO.  The KPA1500 reported that
the XCVR frequency changed to 14072.

Then I engaged XIT and dialed in 9.99 kHz.  When I turn XIT on and off, the
KPA1500 display alternates between 14072 and 14080.

The KAT500 owner's manual on page 16 says that the KAT500 can follow changes
in the K3's VFO frequency during receive. That means that you don't have to
transmit to get frequency information from the K3S/K3 to the KAT500/KPA1500,
the frequency information comes from the K3/K3s when it is receiving.  The
K3S/K3 can send the VFO frequency as it changes, by moving the transmit VFO
frequency with a knob (the VFO B knob when in split).  The frequency is sent
shortly after VFO encoder motion ceases. You need to turn on this capability
by a K3 menu, CONFIG:KAT3 and tap the 1 button to toggle between KAT500N and
KAT500Y.

Give it a try yourself. The KAT500 has a serial command "F;" that returns
the KAT500's last-known frequency, which comes from either AUXBUS or the
frequency count of the last transmission.

You can use the F setter from a computer program to set the KAT500's
frequency if you prefer. You should send the desired TX frequency.

73 de Dick, K6kR