Sean,

It sounds like the voltage being applied to the internal circuits of the KX3 is dropping below 8 volts, which is the voltage at which it will turn itself off. Check inside for any loose connections (weak battery holder springs for instance) or power wire terminals that may be partially unplugged.

If you can't locate anything, an email to support may give you some other points to check.

73,
Don W3FPR