That's a pretty bad assertion.

A white (or very light) object will simply absorb much less heat ... all.day.long.   And it will still be able to reradiate heat.  Just not as effectively, but it wouldn't need to.

A dark object wouldn't be able to radiate its considerably greater absorbed heat until the sun went away, and by that time any potential damage would have been long done.

I have a low slope roof behind parapets sealed with white elastomeric roofing coating.  I can walk barefoot on it all day in the June Arizona sun and it barely feels warm.  I'd have blisters in less than a minute if it was even moderately brown like my wood decking is.

Dave  AB7E