Good evening,

1.
when I turned on the K3S tonight I noticed that the current display was
jumping between 1,4 and 2,7 Amperes on idle. Never saw the rig doing it
before. The actual current consumption didn´t change but the readout of the
K3S only. That approx. +1,3 A also was noticed on transmit. Checking the
circuit diagram I see a 0,005 ohm current sense resistor (R3). The voltage
drop goes into a current sense monitor ((U6) and finally into a
multi/demultiplexer (U6.1).
As I already had a bad (=oscillating) op amp in the temperature readout
circuit I wonder if bad luck struck twice and I got a bad current sensor or
multi/demultiplexer?
Now as the radio ran for a while and warmed up I don´t see the jump in the
current display anymore.

2. not really an issue but maybe a software fix is possible
the Noise Gate level is very much on the edge. With the handmicrophone and
in particular with a desk microphone the mic gain level has to be set very
carefully on the conservative side. That is the mic gain has to be set just
at the point where the signal becomes a little bit weaker compared to the
asymptotic setting where a maximum is reached and no increase possible
anymore even though there is still headroom in the mic gain range (received
on a remote SDR). However even with mic gain just set under the maximum
permissible value and the Noise Gate level set to max (25) still an
occasional popping can be heard by pushing and holding the ptt but no
ambient noise. If the mic gain level is set to the permissible limit (ALC
deflection) the noise gate doesn’t work anymore and an high frequent noise
is coming along with the signal. No it is not the fan of the powersupply as
I ran the station on a convection cooled linear powersupply and everything
else in the shack muted. I even switched off the fan in the K3S which I
normally leave running on "1". The compressor setting has NO effect at all
on the point where the Noise Gate releases.
The question is whether it is possible to have the firmware changed for more
headroom in setting the Noise Gate level as the range from 0 to 15 is almost
useless.

73/Roger - DL5RBW