Hi Paul,

I don't want to sound like a K2 bigot, but you could not be happier nor more pleased with the external KAT-100 tuner. Aside from its physical size which allows the K2 to sit on top of it using indented rubber feet for stability, this tuner has the ability to tune quite a wide range of SWR, for example, end fed wires.

My experience with the KAT-100 is tuning dipoles fed with open wire feeders, eg., using zip cord, 300 ohm TV lead, and 450 ohm twin lead. I have used 450 ohm twin lead for horizonal wires fed with 450 ohm twin lead like a folded dipole which will tune 1 to 1, 160m-10m. In these configurations I use the Elecraft BL1 150W balun connected to the twin lead and then a short length of coax from the BL1 to the tuner.

You know you can have two antennas connected to the tuner, switchable from the K2 front panel.

Disadvantages: This tuner works only with the K2 due to the communictions bus between K2 and tuner. The tuner is a bit heavy for its size but there are a lot of toroids in there and the case is steel, not aluminum. You can see it is a very compact unit and a good travelling companion for the K2/100.

Whatever you choose, I wish you good luck.
de Joe, aa4nn
The question for the group. I would like a 100w ATU for travelling and are there any other options (LDGand others) besides the KAT-100 that I should consider. Size and weight are of course primary importance.

Tnx and 73 Paul W4MAY