My kit-built KPA-500 is about 8 months old. Lately I’ve been running a lot of
FT8 and FT4 at around 150 to 200 watts. I have really noticed a lot of loud
creaking from the KPA-500 after a few QSOs on digital modes. The manual does
indicate that some noise is normal but this does seem excessive, I don’t recall
noticing it when on CW or SSB, although I haven’t done much contesting where
the amp would have a lot of running time.

I expect I may need to tighten some screws inside. I really don’t want to do
any more disassembly than necessary and would prefer not to ship back to
Elecraft either. What is the likely culprit and how much disassembly is
required to get to the necessary screws?

Thanks,

Phil N3ZP