I imagine they are referring to an embedded Linux distribution that will
control the radio and interface to the outside world. It could also be used
to add other features if they wanted to offer a compact "one box does it
all" option. Elecraft are pretty smart folks. I can't imagine that they
would do something that would preclude you from using an application you
already like.

Tim N9PUZ