I was visiting a sister last weekend who lives *really* deep in the woods, 50
miles from anywhere in northern California. She's completely off the grid, thus
unconcerned about PG&E's power lines. But she also has very spotty cellphone
reception.

During a moment when none of us had any bars, I pulled out the KX2 and the AX1
whip (with the AXE1 40 meter extender). Sitting on her porch, running 10 watts
SSB, I had no trouble checking into the Noontime Net on 40 meters. Now she
wants a ham license and "one of those cute little radios"  :)

We also heard an opening to Europe on 17 meters, but elected to play guitar,
drink wine, and enjoy the perfect weather instead.

73,
Wayne
N6KR