[Note - slight twist on the subject line]

As to using the K3 for VHF/UHF work, I recently tried to configure a K3 with just the UHF band on it - all of the HF bands mapped out because the unit doesn't have a HF antenna connected and it would avoid operator mistakes. So, just one of the TRN bands configured and only having that band in the band map, all the regular HF bands disabled using CONFIG:BND MAP

This, however, triggers a firmware bug on the K3 with latest firmware (5.67): the BAND switch will switch to either 80m or 10m, depending on whether I press the DOWN or UP button. And that is with the 80m and 10m band disabled.

This has been called in though channels and it's not the end of the world but there doesn't seem to have been a release, not even beta, since January. I hope Elecraft will find the cycles to make what seems to be a trivial fix.

BTW, I did find it beneficial to configure the K3 to display 89 MHz instead of 10489 MHz. This way, the frequency digits don't jump around when you switch from COARSE to FINE.

73,
Geert Jan