Scott:

The TEXT DEC level {Text Decode} is set too sensitive and/or the RF Gain is too high.   I use #3 for the TEXT DEC sensitivity on most bands, depending on noise.   And the RF Gain is reduced such that the CWT bar only flashes on a clean signal.  Getting * and E's is an indication the sensitivity is too high and/or the RF Gain is too high.   Also correct tuning is necessary.  With CWT active you should see the flashing bar in the center.  If to the left or right the tuning is not correct based on the sidetone pitch you have selected.   I get tuning close and then use the SPOT function to correctly zero beat the signal.   This is when CWT is ON.

Copying DK9PY on 14.039 with 100% correct print this morning. He is sending by keyboard which makes for good copy.  Many hand sent CW signals are lacking in rhythm, timing and  spacing for 100% correct copy.   However, you should be able to copy some portion of the messages.

73

Bob, K4TAX