Hi all,

I've heard criticisms of the Bencher BY-series paddles over and over again on this reflector, and honestly I don't have any idea what these critics are talking about. Of course, I learned to send iambically on one from the beginning. I've never used a bug, and I didn't even use a straight key for very long.

I guess I don't hit the arms hard enough for them to feel "mushy". I tried a hex key and it didn't do anything for me; I don't like the grossly non-linear feel of the magnet return, which feels way too "clicky" for me. I tried an original Mercury key -- same feel, didn't like it. I much prefer the long spring of my BY-2, which assures that the tension is practically constant across the gap. And I can't imagine setting the tension so lightly that the paddle sticks and hangs up.

I haven't tried a Schurr or a Bengali, and I imagine that those are fine paddles. To me, my BY-2 is a wonderful instrument that is finely adjustable over the range of parameters at which I feel comfortable. I use it every day, and I would never want to get rid of it.

I submit that those who say that the BY-series paddles are poorly designed or lousy or plain just use a different style of keying that is not suited to the BY-series. I feel sure that most such critics learned to send on devices other than iambic paddles, and still use some of the old habits. There's nothing wrong with that, but that fact doesn't make the BY-series lousy. Admittedly I'm relatively new to CW, but I can send up to about 25 wpm effortlessly (faster than I can receive of course). I know several people who use Bencher BY-series paddles a lot faster than that.

In any event, one's personal paddle is obviously a very personal choice. Trying a paddle yourself beats listening to advice from a reflector any day.

Sorry about helping to flog the dead horse...

73,
- Rob W7GH