I wonder if kids today are going to be impressed with a commercial radio that lets them talk 100' away. Most of them are packing a cellphone with more power than even NASA envisioned when many of us were that age.  Radio was magic to us. Being able to talk to people in Russia was unbelievable. These kids communicate worldwide almost every day. I think they might be impressed with the simplicity of a more homebrew looking (guts exposed) minimalist rig with an equally simple coded "language".

Eric KE6US