It depends on a number of factors.  Here in the Colonies, our beloved version of OFCOM has defined three types of unlicensed radiators:  Incidental, Unintentional, and Intentional.  Incidental are those that make RF as part of their operation but don't need to and it serves no purpose in their operation.  Basically noisemakers like PWM motor controls or arcing HV lines.  Unintentional are those that create RF as part of their operation but do not intend or need to radiate it. Computers are probably the best example, a one-tube regenerative RX is another.  Intentional are those that make and radiate RF as an integral part of their operation.  Remote sensing thermometers and weather stations are a good example ... so is Wayne's 1 mw TX.  They are all regulated by Part 15 of the FCC's regulations. 2.4 and 5.6 GHz Wi-Fi and Bluetooth devices are all covered by Part 15.  There are also duty cycle limits in some regions of the spectrum.

A big factor is the antenna, and one requirement of Part 15 is that the user be unable to modify it.  That's why I used the term "Part 15 Engineering," one will have to test and certify that the device meets the Part 15 requirements including the field strength.  150 mW on 6 MHz with a 0 dBi antenna will produce a field strength of about 0.07 V/m at 30 m which is way over the limit.  1 mW will be about 0.006 V/m or so.  A very limited antenna with something like -15 to -20 dBi "gain" would probably bring the field strength down sufficiently, provided the user can't get to it to modify it.

I'd consider randomizing the TX frequencies within a very small [~5-10 kHz?] "band" [like padding the xtals] and making the RX tuneable over that band so a group could have individual "conversations" such as at a Scout meeting or in a classroom.

73,
Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County