Hi David! Great to hear form you...

To expand a little on Don’s excellent info, The PC connection for both the
KAT500 and KPA500 are mostly used for remote control and firmware update. While
you can send data to them from a transceiver (usually Kenwood) to control
things, for your situation, that’s not what you want to do.

As Don notes, you want to connect the AUX/IO connectors from the K3 to the
KAT500, then from the KAT500 to the KPA500. The big advantage is that frequency
and some control information is carried from the K3 to the KAT (using the
Auxbus), which it uses to determine antenna and LC selections. The KPA
communicates over the Auxbus to the K3 to tell it its status (causing K3 to set
power level if that is enabled). This is the only form of serial communications
that flows between the three units, and some don’t listen (the KPA) or talk
(the KAT). Of course the two units are also watching the K3’s Band lines, which
also goes into the selection determination.

To summarize, the PC connections on the KAT and KPA are really useful for
remote control (usually with the KPA and KAT utilities, although some control
programs also use them. For what you want, the AUX IO ports need to be
connected.

Lastly, be sure to use a cable with all 15 pins connected straight through. Do
NOT use a VGA cable. They play with the signals in those cables, connecting
several together, which will mess things up for us.

Hope you are enjoying CQWW this weekend; we miss you in NCCC!

73!
jack, W6FB