I participate in in the weekly mini-contests sponsored by CWOps, called CWTs. I
generally operate in the 1 hour session at 0300 UTC. At that time, most of my
contacts will be in North America. Naturally my signal will be weaker there
than most of the competition, so I mostly search and pounce. I have found that
requests for repeats or miscopies of my call (which is different from what most
of the operators are primed to expect) increase rapidly when I call at more
than about 27 wpm.
Just a data point.

Victor 4X6GP