Rich,

Online "answers" that are not K3 specific are often incorrect.
You must drive the audio so that you have 4 bars shown on the ALC mater with the 5th bar flashing. That is the NO ALC point for the K3/K3S/KX3/KX2.

Once you have achieved that condition, leave the audio level fixed and adjust the desired power level with the power knob.

There is an article dealing with this subject on my website www.w3fpr.com.

73,
Don W3FPR